Fire risk building façade materials – Azerbaijan
15 people died and over 60 were injured in a fire in a 16-storey residential building in Baku, Azerbaijan, 19th May 2015, most because of toxic smoke. The building façade was made of polyurethane cladding panels, allegedly installed by “Global Panels”, from a factory inaugurated by the Azerbaijan President. The company’s director was arrested the day after the fire, accused of installing non-conforming panels.
A non-fatal fire already occurred in polyurethane sidings in Baku on April 10th, following which authorities issues a statement that the Global Panels material had been tested and showed no safety concerns.