Posted on 08/03/2016 in News 32 2016
Extension leads cause fatal fires

Fatal fires are repeatedly caused by electrical extension leads, according to “Firewatch” in US NFPA Journal last three issues. An extension lead powering a DVD player caused a fire which killed a householder and destroyed a house in Michigan because a bookcase placed on the lead caused it to overheat and ignite nearby combustible materials.

Electrical arcing in an extension lead in which several appliances were plugged cased a fatal with 40 000 US$ property loss fire in Missouri. An extension cord powering a heater caused a fatal fire in Texas, again when the overheating power lead ignited combustible materials nearby. In Michigan, another fatal fire was caused by an overheated extension lead into which a space heater was plugged, which ignited an upholstered chair and flammable items on the chair including diapers and a baby seat.

US National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)


Share This