USA: electrical faults cause deadly fires
BACK TO NEWS
NFPA Journal reports several cases where the cause of deadly home fires is identified as electrical equipment. In one case, an overheating extension cord ignited clothing on a bedroom floor, leading to a fire which killed one occupant by asphyxiation and caused 60 000 US$ damage.
Two other deadly fires were also reported to have been caused by extension leads overheating and igniting either the extension cable itself or nearby combustible materials. A further deadly fire was identified to have been caused by electrical installations setting fire to wood within a wall.
NFPA Journal March-April 2017 “Firewatch” http://www.nfpa.org/news-and-research/publications/nfpa-journal/2017/march-april-2017/news-and-analysis/firewatch