Posted on 21/11/2022 in Transport Fire Safety 2022
Bus fire kills 18

Fire reportedly caused by electrical fault in air conditioner kills 18 passengers in bus in Nooriabad, Pakistan, other passengers were seriously burnt.  Police stated that the fire started in the air conditioner, possibly because of a short circuit. The bus was taking flood victims back to their village from Karachi. The Police has suggested that the vehicle was unfit for use, but also that its emergency door worked correctly and that it was travelling within legal speed limits. Inadequacy of fire safety standards for buses and coaches is an ongoing problem, see e.g. pinfa Newsletters n°85 (France ministerial recommendations 2017) and 106 (US National Transport Safety Board recommendations 2019).

Share This