R&D trends show performance synergies from combining PIN FRs, and new PIN FR systems for performance HFFR cables.
Günter Beyer, Fire and Polymer, presented his view of key new flame retardant research in 2019 and 2020. He summarised three papers (below, Seidi, Yan, Li) and other research concluding several trends:
- Development of the “Flame Retardancy Index”, providing an indication of fire performance based on several different parameters (see Vahabi et al. in pinfa Newsletter n°111).
- Synergies between several PIN FRs increase fire protection, so enabling lower FR loading and so reduced impact on mechanical performance
- Development of nano-composite PIN FRs to for HFFR (Halogen Free Flame Retardant) cables achieving CPR B2 fire classification
- Combinations of modified intumescent PIN FRs, modified clays, nano silica compounds (e.g. Yan et al.)
- Ceramifiable polymer composites, combining PIN FR, synergists, silicate and fluxing agent, enabling high-temperature, high performance materials.