New Fire Challenges of Green Energy in Buildings
1 December 2021
This online workshop looks at the new fire safety risks related to photovoltaic installations, battery storage, electric vehicle charging, new energy control and monitoring systems, and at how standards for fire performance can reduce these risks. Questions asked include adaptation of fire safety and building standards and regulations to continue to improve fire safety of new energy systems, challenges for fire fighters, research and knowledge needs and opportunities in EU Horizon Europe. Speakers are policy makers, insurers, fire test and research safety experts and companies producing renewable energy equipment, including examples of fire tests of new energy installations and fire case studies.
This event was both online and live (interlinked) in the AMI Fire Resistance in Plastics Conference, Düsseldorf.
Speaker presentations can be downloaded below:
- Overview of fire safety challenges of new energy systems – Victoria Hutchison, Fire Protection Research Foundation (FPRF – NFPA, USA)
- Photovoltaic systems in building – Regulation & testing – Eric Guillaume, Efectis
- Fire testing of stand-off PV modules on the roof structure – Alexander Kuchner, CURRENTA Fire Technology
- A state-of-the-art review of fire safety of photovoltaic systems in buildings (2021): key conclusions and actions needed – Yoon Ko, National Research Council Canada
- Battery storage Fire Safety Research – Dirk Long, EPRI (Electric Power Research Institute)